If you love shredded chicken sandwiches, you will love this! All the flavors of classic Parmesan chicken turn into an easy instant pot recipe that makes a delicious sandwich filling. This instant pot chicken parmesan sandwich is a dirty treat.
Chicken shredded is such a classic dish with breaded chicken chops with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. Juicy chicken with a crispy layer and tomato sauce plus hot melted cheese.
It is fabulous for dinner with some vegetables and garlic bread or also ideal for making sandwiches. I love enjoying this classic in restaurants or doing it on weekends. Whereas, the days of the week require quick and easy meals.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups of marinara sauce in a jar, I used Prego (tomato, basil, and garlic)
- Salt and pepper, as needed (refer to the notes)
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 6 hamburger buns
- Set the instant pot in stir fry mode. When hot, add olive oil and then place the chicken in a single layer (try crushing them so that they fit in a single layer). Cook for about 3 minutes, until it is no longer pink on the bottom.
- Press cancel and flip the chicken. Add all the ingredients from group 2, mix to distribute well.
- Close instant pot, close lid (making sure the valve is tight to seal). Put it in the manual for 10 minutes and then let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid, press the stir fry mode and take out just the chicken on a large plate. Bring the sauce to a boil (stirring occasionally) and reduce until very thick. Meanwhile, mash chicken with two forks.
Add the shredded chicken back to the sauce and mix well. You can taste the salt at this point and adjust accordingly. Continue cooking until all the sauce has evaporated.
- Press cancel, sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on top, cover, and close lid to melt cheese in the residual heat. Let stand 5 minutes, until cheese is completely melted.
To serve chicken parmesan pot on sandwiches instantly.
- Put the cooked chicken with a little melted cheese on the bottom bun, close it, and enjoy.
Salt – Salt depends on the type of marinara sauce and its taste. I used the Prego sauce (tomato, basil, garlic) and I used 1 and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Bread- Other great burger bun alternatives -> Garlic Bread / Muffins / Texas Toast / Brioche Muffins / Ciabatta Bread