The preparation of the pot roast is to be identified as a dish of patience. It is very simple to prepare but requires a long cooking time and the chef on duty will have to constantly check and turn it over to avoid it becoming too moist.
In fact, the cooking takes place perpetually over a cheerful flame and to be monitored. For all these reasons it is considered a dish of holidays or Sundays.
Pot Roast of Beef or Veal?
For a perfect dead roast recipe, you need to choose the right meat. In fact, you can decide between veal or beef.
In fact it is a very large piece of meat wrapped in string and cooked slowly together with the aromas that will give a unique flavor to this dish and that of beef lends itself very well!
A Good Roast
A good roast, as already mentioned, must cook for a long time. But the needs of the modern housewife are such as to make this possibility unthinkable, except for rare occasions.
It is therefore necessary to direct the choice, when shopping at the butcher, towards meat that is tender enough to guarantee perfect cooking in the shortest possible time.
Therefore, it is all the more essential to have meat with a certain amount of fat. If you ask the butcher for a piece of “roast”, we will almost always receive the boned and tied brisket, ready to be cooked.
If the meat, as we have already seen, has its right amounts of fat, nothing is needed. If, on the other hand, we have completely lean parts or particularly leathery whole animals, then it is necessary to carry out the operation of enriching them with that missing fat.
Roast in an Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is a multi-cooker. It does six or seven things, depending on which model you choose. The Instant Pot is primarily an electric pressure cooker, but it is also a slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, and heat plate. Non-LUX models also have a yogurt making function.
Let’s see the simplest and most famous recipe that can be made with pot roast and the instant pot cooker.
Instant pot pot roast onion soup mix recipe
- Instant pot
- 3 lbs beef pot roast
- 4 carrots
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 2 packets of Onion Soup Mix
- 3/4 cup water
- Slice carrots into small pieces and cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Arrange carrots and potatoes in instant pot. Add pot roaston top of vegetables.
- Combine Onion Soup Mix into water and put soup mixture on pot roast to cover it up.
- Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove pot roast and vegetables from instant pot and putthem on serving plates.
- You can thicken gravy by adding additional ¼ cup water and 2 tbsp all-purpose flour. Cook on high setting for 15 minutes. Add gravy on top of the pot roast. Enjoy, Pot Roast Onion Soup Mix is ready.
Tips and variations
Always try the cooking state with a fork and decide whether you want it well done or a little more rare. As for vegetables, there is an alternative. Instead of cooking them with the roast, at the end of cooking you can blend the vegetables with the sauce in which the meat was cooked. In this way you will get a soft cream to season the slices of meat that you can serve.
Homemade onion soup
If you need onion soup mix for a recipe and you don’t have any, you probably have all the necessary ingredients in your pantry.
This soup mix is super easy to fix and makes enough to replace a bag of the store-bought mix.
What do you need
- 3 tablespoons onion (dry chopped)
- 4 tsp granulated beef broth (preferably low in sodium)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoons of celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 tsp celery flakes (optional)
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
How to do it
- Combine all the ingredients.
Use this blend in recipes to substitute for 1 bag of onion soup mix.