The Pioneer Woman’s Apple Brown Betty dessert is a simple, English-style “pudding” made with fresh apples and breadcrumbs.
It is cooked, covered, with a little water to soften the crumbs. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, the dessert is uncovered so that the bread on top can be crispy and caramelized. This is easy to make and delicious dessert.
The first step in this process of cooking this classic American dish was to do a little research on its origins, as I wanted to experience it as the original creator, what I thought was Betty.
As with most classic desserts, there are plenty of versions of this, each claiming to be the best or the most authentic. The original recipe was first published in Yale Literary Magazine in 1864. The name printed was “Betty brunette”.
The lowercase adjective has led many to think that the colour brown refers to the appearance of Betty, the creator of the dessert. Other, more optimistic types like to say that brown refers to the colour of the final dish.
Please note that this recipe is inspired by Pioneer Woman’s Apple brown betty recipe with little variations.
- 1 stick (4 ounces) of butter
- 3 cups of 1/4″ bread cubes
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and 1/4 “sliced apples (Preferably Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
Betty Brown Apple Cooking Method
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a small dish with butter and add 1/3 of brown sugar, 1/3 of apple slices and 1/3 of breadcrumbs. In this way make 3 layers of sugar, apple, and breadcrumbs. Add salt, fresh lemon juice, and cinnamon powder on top.
Make slices of butter and lay on top of the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the dish with water and some more brown sugar. Cover it with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil before the last few minutes to make top golden brown.
Now remove the dish from oven and serve it with fresh cream or ice cream.
Pioneer Woman’s Apple Brown Betty Recipe
- 1 stick Butter
- 3 cup Bread cubes
- 1 1/2 pound Apples
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a small dish with butter and add 1/3 of brown sugar,1/3 of apple slices and 1/3 of breadcrumbs. In this way make 3 layers of sugar,apple and breadcrumbs. Add salt, fresh lemon juice and cinnamon powder on top.
- Make slices of butter and lay on top of the breadcrumbs. Sprinkledish with water and some more brown sugar. Cover it with foil and bake in ovenfor 45 minutes. Remove foil before last minutes to make top golden brown.
- Now remove the dish from oven and serve it with fresh creamor ice cream.