You can never go wrong with mac n cheese, especially if it is slow cooker macaroni and cheese or jalapeno macaroni and cheese. With that said, the lobster mac and cheese by Pioneer Woman is the best I’ve ever had, and it’s easy to make, too!
Mac and cheese are pretty good on their own, but when you add lobster to the mix, you end up with something spectacular. I love making lobster mac n cheese for special occasions – it’s become a family favorite and my kids always request it on their birthday!
How do you make lobster mac and cheese?
This recipe begins with a base of flour, butter, milk, and water that is cooked in a fine sauce. The macaroni goes into the pot along with the seasonings, and everything is simmered.
The next step is to add a generous amount of grated cheese. Finally, the lobster is added to the mix. Mac and cheese are transferred to a baking dish, topped with breadcrumbs, and then baked until golden brown. Add a pinch of chives and dinner is served!
How is lobster cooked?
I like to grill the lobster tails to get my minced lobster meat for this recipe. The tails can be brushed with butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper, then grilled for about 12 minutes until the meat is opaque.
There are many varieties of lobster, and it doesn’t really matter which one you use in this dish.
How is lobster mac and cheese heated?
Mac and cheese tend to thicken when cooled. I recommend reheating this dish in an oven over low heat (about 300 degrees) for 20 minutes or until heated through.
What is the best cheese to use for mac and cheese recipes?
Cheddar cheese is my favorite option for mac and cheese recipes. It’s flavorful, melts really well, and gives mac and cheese their traditional orange color.
With that said, be sure to use regular mild, medium, or sharp cheddar and not cheddar that is extra sharp or aged. Aged cheeses can separate when melted and you won’t get a silky smooth sauce.
For this recipe, I also added a little mozzarella cheese because I love the creamy flavor it adds to this dish.
Can you freeze lobster mac and cheese?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing this dish because dairy generally doesn’t freeze well and can separate and curdle when thawed.
Please note that this recipe is inspired by Pioneer Woman’s Lobster Mac and Cheese recipe with little variations.
Pioneer woman's lobster mac and cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 4 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cup grilled and chopped lobster meat
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced chives
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2 or 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour, and then beat until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the water and beat until smooth and thick.
- Add the milk and beatuntil just combined.
- Add the macaroni, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and pepper, then bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is done.
- Lower the heat and then add the cheeses. Keep stirring until the sauce is smooth
- Fold in the lobster meat. Transfer macaroni mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss them into the breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the macaroni. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with chives and garnish with additional lobster chunks if desired. Serve immediately
Lobster Mac and Cheese Variations
While I usually make this recipe as written, I sometimes use different ingredients for a whole new flavor.
- Protein: I turn this into seafood mac and cheese using a combination of shrimp, lobster, and crab meat.
- Cheeses: While cheddar is a classic in mac and cheese, you can also use fontina, Monterey Jack, or cheddar cheese.
- Herbs: I love the flavor of chives in this dish, but you can also use parsley, green onion, or even fresh chopped dill.
Once you try this dish, you will never see macaroni and cheese the same way again! The sweet lobster meat pairs perfectly with the creamy macaroni and the crunchy breadcrumb filling is the perfect finish.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Mac and Cheese
- Barefoot Contessa Mac and Cheese
- Chef Boyardee Mac and Cheese
- Mac and Cheese without Milk
- Mike Farm Mac and Cheese
- Trisha Yearwood Mac and Cheese